Introduction

Age/Grade: 13-18 years old (Secondary level)

Learning Objectives:

• To display the multi-faceted beliefs of witches and their use of Maleficia and Beneficia. Break the obvious stereotype of the “evil, ugly hag”.
  • To encourage critical thinking upon the how the witch figure is used within movie, art, literature, etc.
    • Hopefully, display how these depictions correlate with societal ideas of women in their respected time periods.

Assessment

• During my lesson and the movie, I expect the students to be taking notes. During class and smaller group discussion, I expect to see some form of engagement from students. I will remain aware of those I see participating throughout. During the activity, I will be repeatedly checking in on the groups to provide guidance.
  • At the end of the class I will ask the students to either write a paragraph or draw a picture that captures how they currently perceive the witch character after the lesson. Due at the beginning of the next class.

Prerequisite Knowledge

• The sole prior knowledge needed is an understanding on current cultural depictions of witches. Most people have been accustomed to these general characteristics (broom, old, ugly, cackle, evil). If not, then this information will be provided through the hook of the lesson.

Supplies

• Large pieces of paper and markers
  • A screen and the technology that can play the movie and video clips I need.
    • Access to Netflix and links to video clips.

Allotted Time: A week (5 days)

• Day One: Me providing the lesson laid out below.
  • Day Two: Begin the Movie Oz the Great and Powerful
  • Day Three: Continue Oz the Great and Powerful
  • Day Four: Finish Oz the Great and Powerful (if needed). Divide the class into three groups for the activity. Begin activity laid out below.
  • Day Five: Presentation of ideas, final group discussion, and summary.

Set Up

• Set up a power point for my lesson on day one.
  • Set up Netflix and movie for day two, three and possibly four.
  • Day four: Provide large pieces of paper and markers if students wish to use them within their group discussions.
  • Rearrange classroom to a presenter friendly format. (more space up front) on day five.

Hook:

• I would start off with asking the class the question; Are you a good witch or a bad witch? I expect this odd question to stir up initial confusion. Despite this, I would encourage someone to try and answer. I hope this will engage students, not solely on its abruptness but also due to its relevancy to popular culture.
  • I then would encourage a short class discussion to ignite some critical thinking. What is your perception of a witch? What do you imagine classifies a “good witch” and “bad witch”? Can you name some modern examples that emulates these descriptions? (film, books, etc.)

Lesson

• I plan to set up a PowerPoint on the lesson. I will address the subject throughout and talk around the bullet points I decide to focus upon. I plan to keep filter out the extensive subject based upon its relevancy to the film Oz the Great and Powerful.
  • I will begin by lecturing on the historic depictions on witches and magic.
    • Short description upon the witch’s stereotypes that are addressed within Heinrich Kramer’s Malleus Maleficarum (pact with devil, temptresses, cause destruction and harm, anti-maternal, etc.). [1]
    • I will also throw in some historical context to the stereotype of witches flying on brooms. Witches were not always attached to this popular stereotype. Through much of the Medieval period, witches shown to be carried by demons. It was not until the mid 16th century that witches on brooms began to emerge. The ideal was popularized within the Netherlands throughout the height of the witch trials.[2]
    • I will then define the Beneficia and Maleficia in their historical context referring to William Perkin’s “Good and Bad Witches” and Martin Del Rio “The Maleficia of Witches”.[3]
    • Cue clip from The Crucible showing village paranoia which leads to accusations (could not find link to the clip) and Ron’s false intake of Liquid Luck for Quidditch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmB8ALhdw9I&t=21s
  • Discussion Points: What do these depictions indicate about views upon women in this time? How does this relate towards the societal values of these time periods? (Medieval/ Early Modern)
  • We will then begin to watch the film Oz the Great and Powerful. I will ask the class to keep the historical depictions in mind and to jot down similarities to Theodora, Evanora, and Glinda. What stereotypes are still maintained today? What is different? Any thoughts upon the magic used by the witches? (hint: Beneficia and Maleficia)
  • Post Movie Discussion: What can these differences and similarities between the modern and historic depictions tell us about changing societal values?

Activity:

• I will divide the class into three groups. Each group will be assigned a witch (Glinda. Evanora, or Theodora). The objective for each group is to put together a campaign for their respected witch. They are to put forth presentations, on their witch and display why they are the most accurate portrayal of a witch. They can present their cases however they choose as a group (poster, speech, script, etc.) They have most of Day four and a small portion of day five (if needed) to complete.
    • Presentation does not need to be polished, but arguments and ideas need to be communicated effectively.
  • Day five, the three groups will present their arguments.

Conclusions:

• After all the presentations are finished, I will ask the class who they believe is the most accurate witch. What factors lead them to believe that?
  • I will then cap the discussion with 10 minutes left and ask the class to start up either a mini paragraph or drawing, of what they now believe encompasses a witch. Hand in by the beginning of next class.

Review and Summary

• This week, we have learned about how witches were characterized in their peak of villainization within the Medieval and Early Modern periods. More specifically the beliefs revolving the use of Beneficia and Maleficia. We have also delved into how these stereotypes have persevered over time, reflecting traditional societal values still present. Arguably, this establishes “the witch” as a representative upon the discourse around women and their roles within society. I hope this lesson has inspires you to pay closer attention to the messages that are present in the media you consume. As well as leave here feeling more educated upon the historic staple that is “the witch” and the practice of magic.

[1] Heinrich Kramer, “Malleus Maleficarum, 1486,” In the Witchcraft Sourcebook, ed. by Brian P. Levack (New York: Routledge, 2015), 59-71.

[2] Willem De Blecourt, “The Flying Witch,” Magic, Ritual, & Witchcraft 11, no. 1 (2016): 73-93.

[3] William Perkins, “Good and Bad Witches, 1608,” In the Witchcraft Sourcebook, ed. by Brian P. Levack (New York: Routledge, 2015), 102-106. and Martin Del Rio, “The Maleficia of Witches, 1600,” In the Witchcraft Sourcebook, ed. by Brian P. Levack (New York: Routledge, 2015), 96-100.

Bever, Edward. The Realities of Witchcraft and Popular Magic in Early Modern Europe: Culture, Cognitive, and Everyday Life. Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan, 2008. Breuer, Heidi. Crafting the Witch: Gendering Magic in Medieval and Early Modern England. New York: Routledge, 2009. De Blecourt, Willem. “The Flying Witch.” Magic, Ritual, & Witchcraft 11, no. 1 (2016): 73-93. Del Rio, Martin. “The Maleficia of Witches, 1600.” In the Witchcraft Sourcebook, edited by Brian P. Levack, 96-100. New York: Routledge, 2015. Kramer, Heinrich. “Malleus Maleficarum, 1486.” In the Witchcraft Sourcebook, edited by Brian P. Levack, 59-71. New York: Routledge, 2015. Perkins, William. “Good and Bad Witches, 1608.” In the Witchcraft Sourcebook, edited by Brian P. Levack, 102-106. New York: Routledge, 2015.

Writing Details

• Author: Rebecca Pinko
  • Published: June 8, 2020
  • Word Count: 1360
  • Rights: Creative Commons CC-BY Attribution License This work by Rebecca Pinko is licensed under a Creative Commons CC-BY Attribution 4.0 International License.
  • Featured Image: flickr photo by LĂ­via Cristina https://flickr.com/photos/liviacristinalc/3402221680 shared under a Creative Commons (BY-NC-ND) license
  • Share: